SUMODO ~The Successors of Samurai~
Japan's first sumo documentary which chased after sumo wrestlers who dedicated their lives to sumo.
The Rikishi wrestlers each weigh more than 150 kg. One wrestler sums up a moment when they clash violently without wearing protective gear as a "car accident". The wrestlers are required to need not only a strong body but also strong mental power.
What kind of life do they live in, and what thoughts do they take on the fight?
Through two sumo-beya (sumo wrestling rooms) with totally different atmospheres, the director depicts Sumo Rikishi’s life of intense practice, days full of injuries, and 15 days of fierce battles.
This is a documentary film that is full of shocks and surprises that makes you feel passionate for those who are fans but also even for whom not.
Director: Eiji SAKATA
Cast: Hideaki SAKAIGAWA, Katsumi TAKADAGAWA, Gotaro GOEIDO, Goshi RYUDEN
Japanese title: 相撲道～サムライを継ぐ者たち～
Japanese Theatrical Release: October 30th, 2020
- Hawaii International Film Festival (2020)
- Summer Screenings presented by the Chicago International Film Festival (2021)
- Nippon Connection (2021)
- Toronto Japanese Film Festival (2021)
- Udine Far East Film Festival (2021)
- Japanese Film Festival (Australia) (2021)
- Nippon On Demand 2021: Replay! (2021)
- Victoria Film Festival (2022)